Dr SH
Dr SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

My husband was prescribed Phentermine loss he had a random

Customer Question

My husband was prescribed Phentermine for weight loss he had a random drug test at work and tested positive for amphetamines the doctor that prescribed him the Phentermine said it could test positive for amphetamines or methamphetamines is this true is there a way to tell the difference meaning whether it was Phentermine also the man he spoke with on the phone from the drug testing company but this man could not tell him what he took my husband said to the doctor that did the drug test if it wasn't Phentermine what was it and he could not tell him he just said you tested positive for amphetamine and then he lost his job
Category: Drug Testing
Expert:  Dr SH replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for your question.If you are sure that your husband only took phentermine and no amphetamines then he should challenge the test result as Phentermine can cause false positives on immunoassay drug tests. This technology is used in screening tests, home test, dipstick or other "instant" point of collection devices. HOWEVER, phentermine will NOT cause a false positive test on the GC/MS (gas chromatography-mass spectrometry) confirmation test. Therefore I would recommend that this test should be done which will confirm that he is innocent.This session is open for any further questions that you may have. I would appreciate it if you rate me by clicking on one of the rating options at your end on the top right hand corner as that is the only way we, the experts, are credited on here for helping you out.Kindest regards
Expert:  Dr SH replied 6 months ago.
Let me know if you have more questions.The only way I am credited on here is when you rate me.I would appreciate a rating.Regards
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I don't know but I think they did the conformation test because it is for DOT is there anything that could have made both tests shoe up positive
Expert:  Dr SH replied 6 months ago.
GC/MS is the confirmatory test.It is like a chemical fingerprint of a drug.There are no false results with this test.Let me know if you have more questions.The only way I am credited on here is when you rate me.I would appreciate a rating.Regards
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Do you have to give another urine sample or is that why they split it into 2 containers the only thing that we can think of is he took my son's meds on accident and he is on adderall if that's what he did I guess if they use the same urine there is no way around this mess
Expert:  Dr SH replied 6 months ago.
They would have saved it.YES the adderall is what caused the positive result most likely.He could have taken your son's medication by mistake or purposely as there is no other reason for GC/MS to be positive.This session is open for any further questions that you may have. I would appreciate it if you rate me by clicking on one of the rating options at your end on the top right hand corner as that is the only way we, the experts, are credited on here for helping you out.Kindest regards
Expert:  Dr SH replied 6 months ago.