Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor
Experience:  Medical Doctor Trained at a Top Academic Institution

My husband was recently put on insulin . He is

Customer Question

my husband was recently put on insulin for diabetes. He is doing random urine testing for a past driving under the influence conviction and has been accused of flushing multiple times, however he is not drinking alcohol and not drinking any addition fluids other than normal (no large quantities of water, coffee or anything). Can the flushing be a result from his disease or the insulin? Also, what is it that they test for flushing? He has to go to court again because of this, but he has been sober since last June, when he was arrested originally.
Category: Drug Testing
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 6 months ago.
Thanks for this questionThe diabetes shouldn't affect this at all nor the insulin.Anything that causes fluid retention might.If he is on other medsBasically they check the specific gravity of the urine. This is like the density of the urine. If it is less dense, then they apparently accuse him of flushinglet me know if you have other questions.if done for now, please leave a positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you todaywe only get credit for helping clients after positive feedbackyou can always reach me with "a question for Dr. Phil" in the medicine, cardiology or pharmacy categories if you have any other questionshere is my website if you need to reach me again: for using
Please don't forget a positive rating for me. I appreciate itIf you have more questions, just reply