Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

My boyfriend was stopped and was unable to complete the breathalyzer

Customer Question

My boyfriend was stopped and was unable to complete the breathalyzer test so the police took him to the hospital for a Blood Alcohol test. I am wondering how effective is the test after being stored for weeks or months?
JA: The Doctor will need to help you with this. Anything else I can tell the Doctor before I connect you two?
Customer: He had no food in his system at the time of his arrest and is a chronic alcoholic
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Drug Testing
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
This is Dr. Davidwhich test are you looking for effectiveness? the breathalyzer test or the hospital blood alcohol test?how much was he drinking before he was tested?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Looking to see how his blood alcohol test and how long the sample is accurate. This happened at the beginning of March and his attorney told him that it might be several months until he gets results. Does the effectiveness of the test diminish over time? We were on our way to breakfast when he was stopped and supposedly chugged down a couple of glasses of wine just before leaving the house. We also had been drinking the night before. He is 6'1" and about 185 pounds, 55 years old and has several prescription drugs due to anxiety and a heart attack.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
I see.the hospital blood alcohol test most likely was done the day of the testing and the results are ready.but I bet with police paperwork and your lawyer it can take a few months just to get a copy of a blood test which is already done.the effectiveness of the blood test would not diminish over timeit has only been a few weeks since the event.I bet your attorney can get a copy of the blood testing results in the next few weeks.let me know if you have other questions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is a chronic alcoholic and regularly consumed large amounts of alcohol (due to this incident he no longer drinks and regularly attends AA meetings).
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the information.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
you are welcomeI'm glad he no longer drinkslet me know if you have other questions.if done for now, please leave positive rating of 3-5 stars so I can get credit for helping you todaywe only get credit for helping clients after positive feedbackyou can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have any other questionshere is my website if you need to reach me again:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/Thanks for using JustAnswers.com