Family Physician, Board Certified MRO
Experience:  Medical Review Officer - Physician Trained and certified in drug test interpretation
1304720

I am wondering how a beer stays in your system, I have an

Customer Question

I am wondering how long a beer stays in your system
JA: OK. The Doctor will need to help you with this. Please give me a bit more information, so the Doctor can help you best.
Customer: I have an etg drug test tomorrow and it will have been 42 hours when I take the test and I have excerised and drank water. Just wondering my chances of passing
JA: It can be really useful knowing what is showing up in drug tests. I'm sure our Expert will help you decide whether to get one or not. Is there anything else the Doctor should be aware of?
Customer: No ma'am. No other drug use. Just a beer yesterday.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer where you can place your fully refundable $5 deposit (plus $13 after the Doctor responds). While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Drug Testing
Expert:  Family Physician replied 9 months ago.

Thank you for your question:

As you can imagine, there is considerable variation in the period of detection for alcohol between individuals. In general, most people will be negative by 27-30 hour range following consumption of a small amount of alcohol (1-2 beers). While the labs (and various web sites) quote detection up to 80 hours, this is a significant exaggeration. These longer detection periods are seen in cases of heavy daily alcohol consumption and only in a small percentage of cases.

With a small amount of alcohol, I do believe you have a very good chance of having a negative test at 42 hours.