DrThomasMd
DrThomasMd, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified internal medicine doctor years of experience addiction and all other medical problems
24257177

I have a prescription following shoulder surgery. I have a

Customer Question

I have a prescription for hydrocodone following shoulder surgery. I have a DOT drug test today and do not want to divulge any medical info to my employer because of how a coworker was treated for what scripts he was taking. I hear that the 5-panel Test does and does not find hydrocodone in urine. What's the final word on this?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: That's pretty much it. Does hydrocodone show up on a DOT 5-panel test?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Drug Testing Experts generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Drug Testing
Expert:  DrThomasMd replied 9 months ago.

Hi

If you have a prescription, no information is going to be divulged. It will not be a positive.

OK, so that is an initial answer….

Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.

Sorry there is some confusion here.

Please ignore the first response.

If you have a prescription, your employer has no need of that information.

The MRO should keep this between you and the testing center. No positive should be reported.

OK, so that is an initial answer….

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I took the dot test a little while ago. They did not ask me for a list of any prescriptions I take. Again this is for a 5 panel DOT urine test. Will hydrocodone show up? I've read that it breaks down into metabolized that the test doesn't test for. I'm wondering if I should call and tell them that I have a script or if that looks suspicious. Or if I should not worry about it as long as the test won't pick up on it anyway?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I just called my coworker he said that the same thing happened to him the testing facility did not ask for any information about any prescriptions that he took. He tested positive for amphetamines because of a certain drug he took for ADD. Naturally our employer was informed and that's when they made his life a living hell.

Hydrocodone is a synthetic and not tested in a 5 panel.

You should be OK.

If it were a custom test it would show up.

Then you would need to present your prescription.

Please click a positive on this page.

Come back as needed.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The paperwork I have says DOT FMCSA. Drug to be tested for THC...COC...PCP...OPI...AMP

Yes that would not include hydrocodone.

Please click a positive: we are only paid per positive rating [and for bonuses.]