Family Physician, Board Certified MRO
Experience:  Medical Review Officer - Physician Trained and certified in drug test interpretation
1304720

I am a 60 year old male 186 lbs 6 1" i use Vicodin almost

Customer Question

hello i am a 60 year old male 186 lbs 6 1" i use Vicodin almost daily hydrocodone 7.5- 300 1 to 3 pills a day for 3 years depending on my activity level . i have back and neck pain and am on my feet almost 12 hours a day.
i also have some lung scaring from sarcoid lung in remission.i have been suffering from severe upper respiratory infection for 2 months which turned into pneumonia during that period i have taken numerous cough meds and Vicodin . i am slowly recovering my question is i need to take a dot 5 drug urine test next week . i took my last Vicodin 4 days ago how long will that be able to be detected i understand your answer not definite thanks john
Category: Drug Testing
Expert:  Family Physician replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question:

The DOT drug tests do NOT identify Vidocon or hydrocodone. The opiate panel used by the DOT testing program identifies codeine (in some cough medicine), morphine and 6-acetyl morphine (found after use of heroin)

The synthetic opioids such as oxycodone or hydrocodone will NOT cause positive DOT drug tests.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
that is how i interpreted the information i saw on internet cfr s but it does not make sense i know the government is useless i spent 31 on a class 1 railroad as engineer now retired why don t they test for the most abused drug in the country you are saying they don't see drug in Vicodin on dot urine test ?

While many may agree that it would be reasonable to test for these drugs, the DOT drug testing program was implemented back in the mid-80's under the Reagan administration as part of the "war on drugs".

The focus was really on illegal drugs - not on (the less frequent at the time) prescription drug abuse. Any changes to the DOT drug testing program/regulations require a complex and lengthy regulatory process including public comment period etc. I suspect at some point this may be added, but at the current time, it is not included.