Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

I just failed a hair folicle test but I do not use
, I

Customer Question

I just failed a hair folicle test for cocaine but I do not use
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I am trying to provide a 5 panel hair folicle test for custody battle and just received the results showing cocaine but i do not use
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Drug Testing Experts generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Drug Testing
Expert:  Dr. David replied 11 months ago.

This is Dr. David

if you are around people who do use cocaine, it can turn your hair testing positve

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11728736

this study shows that

"significant concentrations of cocaine (>1 ng/mg) and moderate quantities of benzoylecgonine (generally <0.5 ng/mg) are still detectable up to 10 weeks after contamination (external contamination of the hair follicle). These results question the reliability of hair testing. In fact, even using the most sophisticated decontamination procedures it is not possible to distinguish a drug-contaminated subject from an active user. Thus, while a negative result excludes both chronic use and "contact" with drugs, a positive result cannot and must not be interpreted as a sure sign of drug addiction, but should be further confirmed by urine analysis."

you should show this article to your doctors

ask for confirmatory urine testing

and confirmatory mass spectroscopy/gas chromatography confirmatory testing

if you don't use cocaine, the confirmatory tests will be negative.

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have any other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me again:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com