Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I currently take aI tested positive
, I currently take

Customer Question

Customer: I currently take aI tested positive for Methamphetamines
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I currently take Adderall, Dextroamphetamine and Chantix and recently took a rapid urine drug screen without any follow up testing with a lab or an MRO and it came up positive for Amphetamines and Methamphetamines. I have never ever seen or done Methamphetimes before. How could that rapid drug screen be positive for Meth?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Drug Testing Experts generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Drug Testing
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

The rapid urine drug screen for meth could be a false positive, either because of the Adderall/dextroamphetamine or simply because these tests have a fair amount of false positives. While the Adderall/dextroamphetamine do not contain any methamphetamine, they are chemically similar, so there can be some cross-reactivity and cause a false positive for meth on the urine drug screen. In addition, some people that are not taking any prescription or recreational drugs will still get a false positive result on these urine drug screening tests. The methodology of these tests are such that a certain amount of false positives will occur, regardless of the situation of the person being tested. It is because of this false positive rate that it is recommended that all persons with a positive urine drug screen should have additional testing through the lab, performing a more accurate test or confirmatory test, such as GC/MS. If the GC/MS is negative, then that would indicate that the screening test was a false positive, regardless of the situation of the patient.

In your case, since there was no further testing with a lab, there is no definite conclusion that can be drawn from the positive urine drug screen. You do not say why this test was done, but you should insist that a confirmatory test be done.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.