DrThomasMd
DrThomasMd, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified internal medicine doctor years of experience addiction and all other medical problems
24257177

I had a diluted ETG last week. They are offering a GCMS

Customer Question

Customer: I had a diluted ETG last week. They are offering a GCMS test. I have been taking Geritol for vitamins and iron since I was recently diag with coronary artery disease. I guess this had alcohol in it. What should I expect if I do the GCMS, how long does it detect alcohol, and finally, should I just not do the GCMS test. By the way, I have been drinking alot of fluid to help keep blood thin until my stress test, cath and stint are done.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Probation
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Drug Testing Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Drug Testing
Expert:  DrThomasMd replied 11 months ago.

Hello

I am not sure what you mean by "dilute ETG". I will assume that the sample was dillute, but that you were also positive anyway. Correct me if that is not the case.

What I believe they are suggesting is that they sent the same sample [they split it] for confirmatory testing.

This will show if there is alcohol or even the breakdown products in the sample.

It will be positive if you have alcohol

I don't think geritol typically has alcohol.

See this link on your supplement: no alcohol

http://geritol.com/geritol-tonic

As to whether you refuse the confirmatory testing, ETG is highly sensitive to any alcohol. It typically, however, is not a false positive. It has been critisized sinc it is so sensitive, and within 25 to 50 hours, will often detect any alcohol exposure. If you are on probation, not doing further testing leaves you with the ETG results.

Whether is is an invalid sample, or a positive sample, it will not provide proof that you did not drink.

OK, so that is an initial answer….

Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.