Family Physician, Board Certified MRO
Experience:  Medical Review Officer - Physician Trained and certified in drug test interpretation
1304720

I have a preemployment drug screening. I take 37.5 mg of

Customer Question

I have a preemployment drug screening. I take 37.5 mg of phentermine. The last pill I took was on Tuesday and I have a drug test scheduled for Monday. I have a script from my doctor and a notice advising I am prescribed this med under direct supervision. Should I worry that I could fail the test? And upon failure will they review my doctor's notification?
Category: Drug Testing
Expert:  Family Physician replied 11 months ago.

Phentermine is not included in typical drug testing panels used for employment. Even if they did do a comprehensive panel that included the specific tests required to identify this medication - the fact that you have a valid prescription would be adequate.

Pre-employment drug tests are done to deter and detect use of illegal drugs and the abuse of medications without a valid prescription. They are not done (and there is no legal basis) to deny employment to someone taking a prescription medication under physician supervision.

You should not worry - this will NOT be a problem.