Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

My girlfriend tested positive but did not take any. She was

Customer Question

My girlfriend tested positive for cocaine but did not take any. She was on an antibiotic at the time but DCF insists that antibiotics cannot cause false positive for cocaine. What types of antibiotics will cause a false positive for cocaine?
Category: Drug Testing
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

There are reports that amoxicillin may cause a false positive for cocaine on a screening drug test, although studies have not confirmed that it will truly do so. The studies have been done on a limited number of patients, but there clearly is not a substantial rate of false positives.

However, it is also true that we do not know the cause of many false positive results. The screening tests have a fair amount of false positives, even in people that are not taking any other medicines. The usual approach when a screening drug test is positive in someone not taking the drug is to then perform a confirmatory drug test, such as a gas chromatography/mass spectrometry, or GC/MS. If the confirmatory test does not show the drug, then that is proof that the screening test was a false positive.

At this point, rather than trying to find an explanation for a false positive, it would be better for her to insist that a confirmatory test be done.

If I have answered all your questions, please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).

However, if I can provide any further information, please let me know.

Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!

This is the link to my profile:

www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-DrDLove/