Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I had a 12 panel nail test done a week ago. I have not had

Customer Question

I had a 12 panel nail test done a week ago. I have not had any alcohol or cocaine in my system since Feb 2015 (honestly). I knew for certain that I had passed this test without any problems. The test came back positive for cocaine at 100 pg/ml and Benzoylecgonine 50 mg/ml. How is this possible after 10 months?
Category: Drug Testing
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it was a fingernail test not toenail. The examiner did not have me wash my hands first, she just started clipping. I have not had my hands anywhere near cocaine since Feb 2015
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

Generally speaking, drug use can be detected on a fingernail drug test for 3-6 months, so it typically would not detect drug use for 10 months. However, if nail growth is slow in an individual, it is possible that the period of detection could be longer in an individual.

It is important to note that environmental exposure to cocaine and failure to wash our hands would not cause a positive result for benzoylecgonine. The bezoylecgonine is a metabolite of cocaine, so is usually detectable because of metabolism of cocaine in the system. For an environmental exposure to cause a positive result for benzoylecgonine, it would require exposure to benzoylecgonine.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.