Family Physician, Board Certified MRO
Experience:  Medical Review Officer - Physician Trained and certified in drug test interpretation
1304720

My son is randomly tested, 3 times a month, using a pee

Customer Question

My son is randomly tested, 3 times a month, using a pee tests for drugs in prison. He is there after robbing a pharmacy for pain medication which has been his addiction as he has Ehler's Syndrom and he has received no help from any medical avenue because "he's in high school" or "hes in college". Thanks to Dr. Francomano a world known geneticist in the field of collagen diseases or syndromes she was able to convince the prison to put him on Nuycenta. That took two years. My son's robbing the pharmacy was his final psychotic break after being drugged, GHB, by his soccer coach/US Secret Service Agent for 6 years. Age 13 the man introduced him to drugs by forced and turned him into a drug addict. This past month the prison finally agreed to put him on Nuycenta of which he had been taking in jail for two years, a prison for 6 months, then this prison which they just cold turkeyed him and now they put him on it. My son told every CO and Medical person that when it would be randomly drug tested the nuycenta would show up as positive or false positve or something as it's a class two narcotic. He has now been charged with a dirty urine test and will have to go before a kangeroo court, loose all the good points he has earned and pay a fine. This all goes on his record. I need to know if Nuycenta shows up on a urine test just as any other opiod would. Your answer is so critical to my sons future.
Category: Drug Testing
Expert:  Family Physician replied 1 year ago.

The simple answer to your question is MAYBE...

The more complete answer is there are reports that this medication can cause false positives on screening drug tests that rely on immunoassay technology. This technology is used in home tests, dipsticks and other "instant" or "quick" tests - typically done at the site of collection.

Any specimen testing positive with this technology should be confirmed with GC/MS or LC-MS/MS technology by a certified laboratory. GC/MS (gas chromatography - mass spectrometry) or LC-MS/MS (liquid chromatography - tandem mass spectrometry) are the gold standards of forensic testing. These confirmation test would not give false positives. They essentially give "chemical fingerprints" of the specimen.

Here is a link to an article showing the potential for false positives on screening tests. I hope this helps you

http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/pdf/10.3109/15563650.2015.1020114

Please let me know if you need additional information.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I am not satisfied. What type of testing would prisons use? Would nuycenta show as a false positive if they believe other class 2 drugs are used. I am sure you completely under the situation so your answer Maybe is very inappropriate when I am looking for black and white answers. You're the expert....that's why I aid the 66 I aid you. I am completely unsatisfied with your answer. Again you did no research or your answer would have been yes, no, and you'd know if it would show a positive negative. You need to go back yo your expertise and change it

I'm sorry you were not happy with my answer. I don't know (and have no way of knowing) which specific test this particular prison may have used. This is something that you son or his attorney would need to request from the prison or laboratory that performed the testing.

If they did not do GC/MS or LC-MS/MS confirmation, then indeed it could be a false positive.

The link I gave you is a scientific article showing that these false positive can occur.