Family Physician, Board Certified MRO
Experience:  Medical Review Officer - Physician Trained and certified in drug test interpretation
1304720

I took a 54mg Concerta pill Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and

Customer Question

I took a 54mg Concerta pill Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday morning. Then I took an Army Urinalysis at 11 Monday morning. Will I pop positive for Concerta/methylphenidate on the test?
Category: Drug Testing
Expert:  Family Physician replied 1 year ago.

Concerta is one of the brand names for methylphenidate. Testing for this medication is not included in the current DOD drug testing program.

The current list of tested substances:

• Marijuana (THC)
  • Cocaine (BZE)
  • Amphetamine & Methamphetamine
  • Designer Amphetamines / Ecstasy
  • Heroin
  • Oxycodone/Oxymorphone
  • Hydrocodone/hydromorphone
  • Codeine/Morphine
  • Benzodiazepines : nordiazepam, oxazepam, temazepam, orazepam , and α-OH alprazolam
  • Synthetic Cannabinoids
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
would it show as a positive for Amphetimines? Could the Army know I was taking concerta? I know a friend who was kicked out for adderall.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Even if the Army did test for it, would it still be found in my urine?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What would the army do if it turned up positive.for Amphetimines
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would like as much information as possible. Sir like my NG/ML levels possibly
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Like how much of it would have been left in my system on Monday at 11?

I'm sorry for the delay:

While Concerta has similar effects to amphetamine, it is chemically different than amphetamines and will NOT test positive on a US military test as amphetamine.

All military tests are done with GC/MS confirmation and Concerta will NOT cause a false positive for amphetamine.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay. So you're saying that most likely, the entire dosage would have been out of my system by Monday morning?
And if the initial urinalysis popped a false positive for amphetamines, the confirmation GC/MS would only be used to eliminate the presence of amphetamines, and not used as a screening to detect any other substance(like methylphenidate) ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The testing only is done for the particular drugs included in the list. They don't look for other medications or drugs. While there would still be some methylphenidate in the urine, it will not cause a positive, because it is not one of the drugs being tested. The same would apply to many other medications that can theoretically cause false positives; ibuprofen, decongestants, etc.

The GC/MS is done to confirm the presence of the target (tested) drug - it is either present (which results in a positive (failed test) or it is not present, in which case the result is negative (Passed).

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. Just so I know, how much methylphenidate would have been left in my system?

Methylphenidate can be detected with with a specific test for approximately 1-2 days. This specific testing is not done in the US Military testing program - so it really shouldn't be a concern.

I'm glad I could be of help.