Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM.Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

I have a drug test coming up, and have a prescription. They

Customer Question

I have a drug test coming up, and have a prescription for Valium. They are testing for benzodiazepines, can they tell if Xanax is in my system?
Category: Drug Testing
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 1 year ago.

Well in a common urine drug test, the doctors cant usually differentiate between different types of benzodiazepines, as in the case of xanax (Alprazolam), it isn't actually detected in commonly performed drug tests which is an enzyme immunoassay screening test, as a separate drug from valium. It will just show up as a metabolite of benzodiazepines.

Now it actually depends on the lab which is performing the test for benzodiazepine whether a Liquid Chromatography Mass Spectrometry (LC/MS/MS) test has to be performed or not. If this test is done in addition to the screening test, then YES they can pick up on individual metabolites in the urine and determine whether you have valium or xanax or any other benzodiazepine for that matter.

Most labs will just do a simple screening test however in some labs a more comprehensive panel is done. Usually a more comprehensive testing panel is used for medical professionals etc. In cases like tests performed by pain management clinics or even in places where benzodiazepines are used more frequently like in psychiatrists offices, a more comprehensive panel can be performed to see exactly what you are taking.

So in short YES it is possible to detect different benzodiazepines in your system.

I hope I have been helpful and this answers your query. Please remember to assign a feedback rating so JA will compensate me for my time. You are free to ask follow-up questions thereafter at no charge although any bonuses would be appreciated. Please allow up to 24 hours for a follow-up response if I am signed off.

If, for some reason, you are not satisfied with the answer, I would appreciate knowing why so that I can try to clear up any misunderstanding that may have taken place and still earn a positive rating from you. Finally, you may request me in the future by beginning the question with "THIS IS FOR Dr. Muneeb Ali".

Thank you for using Just Answer.

Do you have anymore questions? If not, please leave a POSITIVE rating as until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow up question even after the POSITIVE rating.

Do you have anymore questions? If you are done for now, please leave a POSITIVE feedback rating as until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow up questions even after the rating.