Family Physician, Board Certified MRO
Experience:  Medical Review Officer - Physician Trained and certified in drug test interpretation
1304720

Recently I had a terrible experience with my family doctor.

Customer Question

Hi recently I had a terrible experience with my family doctor. I made an appointment to see her because since last May (2015) I started to notice when I was getting up in the morning I was really stiff and in a significant amount of pain all in my joints. As time progressed it was not just happening in the morning, it was constant throughout the day and night with no amount of Motrin helping me. I made an appointment to see my doctor. Long story short she basically brushed it off to nothing but gave me some pain medicine to take for a month. However in doing so she made me sign I pain contract and submit to a drug test. Fine by me. I got a call 2 days later saying that I tested positive for amphetamines. I didn't know what that was so the aid told me uppers. Also that my doctor would no longer prescribe me pain medicine. I was shocked. Still me not knowing much about what she was accusing me of taking I looked up what amphetamines were. After reading I KNEW I was NOT taking anything like that and never have. I started to read about false positives and noticed I was taking (prescribed by her) 5 or 6 out of 7 or 8 of the medications that cause false positives. (I am currently on Wellbutrin, celexa, ratadine or Zantac, trazadone, and Motrin.) I called back and the doctor never returned my call and then proceded to go on vacation out of the country. I have a appointment with her this coming Tuesday (the first opportunity available) and I want to discuss this with her. I know I have not taken any drug resembling an amphetamine and I am also hurt by the way that this was handeled. How should I go about doing this? Should I bring the papers on the internet about false positives? I am currently still in pain and I'm pretty sure I have what my mom has, which is fibromyalgia. I don't want to self diagnose but I seem to have textbook symptoms.
Thank you,
Meaghan
Category: Drug Testing
Expert:  Family Physician replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question:

The important thing to know about drug tests (something that some primary care physicians don't understand) is that there are two types of tests; Screening tests (which rely on immunoassay technology) and confirmation tests that use GC/MS (gas chromatography - mass spectroscopy).

Immunoassay test can give these false positives, and they should only be considered preliminary. All tests should be confirmed with GC/MS before they are considered true positives. This would help to confirm the assertion that you have made to the doctor that you are not using illegal drugs.

If the test was not done with GC/MS, you could offer to have a hair test done to show that you have not been using/abusing amphetamines.