Family Physician, Board Certified MRO
Experience:  Medical Review Officer - Physician Trained and certified in drug test interpretation
1304720

I have been asked to have an etg hair test. I was drinking a

Customer Question

I have been asked to have an etg hair test. I was drinking a lot back in August but it slowed down in September and has only been about twice a week (5 - 8 drinks, twice per week) in the past month. My research on the internet shows that the test looks
for "daily drinking in excess of 60 grams of alcohol per day to show a positive result. A month ago my hair was heavily highlighted and my research also shows this will "wash out" results. All of this being said, what is the likelihood I will have results
that would indicate I "abuse" alcohol? I know I used to, but my hair has been bleached. I know I still drink too much in the past month, but it is not daily. Please advise.
Category: Drug Testing
Expert:  Camille-Mod replied 1 year ago.
Hello,I'm Camille, and I’m a moderator for this topic. I sent your requested Expert a message to follow up with you here, when they are back online.
If I can help further, please let me know. Thank you for your continued patience.
Best,
Camille
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. Is she usually on every day?
Hi, Im sorry, no she is not, but I have sent her an email to let her know you are waiting for her. Thank you
Camille- Mod
Expert:  Family Physician replied 1 year ago.

Sorry for the delay in getting a response to your question. I am the other drug testing expert on the site.

The detection period for hair testing is approximately 3 months. With your "drinking alot" in August and continued alcohol consumption since then including 5-8 drinks twice per week in the last month, I do believe that your hair EtG test will be positive.

While there may be a slight reduction in the concentration of drugs/chemicals in hair when it is treated/bleached - this is generally NOT enough of a change to make a significant different in test results.

I know this may not have been the answer your were hoping for, but I do have to be honest with people.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did not want you to respond. I wanted Dr. Natasha.