Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I am representing an employee who had a random drug screen.

Customer Question

I am representing an employee who had a random drug screen. The urine sample was collected on 9/22. The test was performed on 9/24. It came back positive for morphine but she insists she has never taken morphine. She does take a headache compound with codeine. could that show up as morphine?
Category: Drug Testing
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also is the urine test still valid since it was tested 2 days after being sent to the lab.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what level of marijuana is a person considered impaired
Expert:  Internist replied 1 year ago.

hi there,

I am online and will be happy to answer your questions.

coedine and morphine are both opiod class of drugs, so if urine test showed positive opiod it could be because of coedine, but if it specifically tested for morphine , then it would not be codeine. ( there are two different kind of tests, one only tests for class of drug and then one detects specifically the drug.) most screening tests only screen the class, so yes it is possibility to be coedine detected as positive morphine ( in real positive opioid).

am i making sense to you?

Expert:  Internist replied 1 year ago.

you can call lab and ask what technique they used, whether they detected class of drug or if they specifically looked for morphine.

marijuana use , like many other, depends on individual response of patient.

Expert:  Internist replied 1 year ago.

please let me know if i can provide further clarifications. thanks

Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.

Hello. I have a different opinion than the other expert.

In the body, codeine is metabolized into morphine. So, if someone is taking codeine, then the test for morphine will be positive. Even if the lab does a specific test for morphine, rather than for the opiate class, codeine can cause a positive test.

The test would also still be accurate 2 days later, if it has been stored correctly in a refrigerator. In fact, since she is known to be taking codeine, then this result is to be expected, so would be considered an accurate report.

The other expert is correct that there is no level of THC that is considered the threshold for impairment

If you are representing people for possible impairment, then a good consolidation of information for various drugs can be found at the National Highway Traffic and Safety Administration site. For example, the page for marijuana can be found at www.nhtsa.gov/people/injury/research/job185drugs/cannabis.htm with links to other drugs in the left column.