Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I consume wine maybe 1-2 month and never more than 2

Customer Question

I consume wine maybe 1-2 month and never more than 2 glasses. I was positive for urine etg on 9/30 and again on 10/6. Not certain what my levels were but I had approx 1-2 glasses of wine at most, the night before both tests. I had 1 glass of wine on 10/9 and have not consumed any alcohol since. I have a pEth test on 10/26 - how likely is it it will result in a positive test based on the info provided? Will IV fluids increase the chances of the test being negative?
Category: Drug Testing
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I weigh 114 and am 5'4 if helpful
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

The pattern of alcohol intake that you describe would typically not cause a positive PEth test. It requires a higher amount of alcohol intake to generate a positive PEth test. The PEth test is good at detecting moderate amounts of alcohol intake, such as 3-4 drinks per day for several days or about 14 drinks over two weeks. Once the threshold has been exceeded, the PEth test can remain positive for longer than the EtG test, up to 2-3 weeks. But from your description, it does not sound like you have exceeded the threshold that would cause a positive PEth test. So, you should have a negative PEth test on 10/26.

If I can provide any clarification, please let me know.