Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

This false positive happend to me when my third child was

Customer Question

this false positive happend to me when my third child was born. I WAS taking ranitadine for heart burn.. My doctor refused to do another test after I asked for one and said there is no such thing as a false positive .. So for he past year I have been fighting CPS and others over his one time question able test? THE baby and I suffered no withdrawal symptoms and no special care was needed. The doctor note says presumed amphetamine ... I've had to take 40 yes 40 random UAs all METH free and CPS still won't believe me...
Category: Drug Testing
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
It is unclear what question you are asking.
What information would be helpful?
Are you seeking documentation that ranitidine can cause a false positive test?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
that it is possible for Ranitidine ZANTAC CAN CAUSE a false positive
I would be glad to assist you.
There has been evidence that ranitidine can cause false positive drug screening tests for many years. The screening tests use an immunoassay method for testing, so is based on monoclonal antibodies to the drug.
However, there have been reports that ranitidine can cause false positive results. For example, see http://www.clinchem.org/content/36/7/1391.2.full.pdf+html
This was a letter to the editor about a report in an earlier edition of a single case that was falsely positive from ranitidine, but this letter included a greater amount of information, because eight individuals were studied and a false positive result was found in five of eight individuals.
It is important to note that there are many false positives that are never explained, which is why it is generally recommended that all positive results by immunoassay should be confirmed by a better test, such as GC/MS. So, even if you were not taking any ranitidine, it would have been better that a confirmatory test was done.
If a confirmatory test was not done, it is difficult to prove a year later that it was definitely a false positive. The journal articles can certainly show that it is possible, but there is no testing that can be done at this point that will prove it.
If I can provide any further information, please let me know.