DrThomasMd
DrThomasMd, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified internal medicine doctor years of experience addiction and all other medical problems
24257177

Help, I an on a methadone clinic back pain. I took a ua

Customer Question

Help, I an on a methadone clinic for chronic back pain. I took a ua which came up for cocaine. I have not done cocaine in over 20 years. But 3 days before my back went out and I went to urgent care and got a Toradol shot and baclofen. Yet the tests showed no muscle relaxers but cocaine. I also take a lot of calcium for my back. They took my take homes away. Can either of these cause a false positive? I offered to pay for a hair sample. I swear I did not do any cocaine. Have used a lot of salon pass pain relieving patch
Category: Drug Testing
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am looking at the ingredients for salonpas and its camphor 1.2%, menthol 5.7%, and methyl saticylate 6.3.% and Aspercreme with lidocaine HCI 4% I also took
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nothing else. But since all these are anesthetic could that produce a false positive.
Expert:  DrThomasMd replied 1 year ago.

Hello

Did they send the sample for GC/MS analysis

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't know. But I believe they stated it was 1.25 mlg
Expert:  DrThomasMd replied 1 year ago.
OK
False positives in drug testing are eliminated by GC/MS confirmation.
This is where they have split the sample after they collect it from you and if there is a positive on the first test, they send it for the confirmatory test, and this eliminates possible false positives.
If they did not do that, they can not give you a positive.
If they did do that, then either you did cocaine, or, they mixed up your sample with another one.
Those are the only two explanations in this case....if they confirmed.
OK, so that is an initial answer….
Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.