Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have a hair follicle test tomorrow and used cocaine over

Customer Question

I have a hair follicle test tomorrow and used cocaine over the weekend
My hair is about 3/8 of an inch long
Will I test positive
Category: Drug Testing
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
If this has been the only use of cocaine, it will likely not be detected.
First, although drugs are continuously being incorporated into hair, the hair that is currently being formed will take some time to grow out from the root of the hair. So, it will usually take 5-7 days before any drug can be detected in the hair.
Second, hair drug tests are also not good at detecting single uses of a drug, particularly if not used in high quantities. So, if you used cocaine once over the 90 days of a hair drug test, there is a good chance that it would not be detected by the test.
Unfortunately, there can be no guarantee that it would not be detected, but it certainly can be said that if you want to pass, you would prefer to be tested sooner than to delay testing.
If I can provide any clarification, please let me know.
I would note that if your hair is only 3/8th of an inch long, they may choose to use hair from elsewhere on the body, because they prefer to use hair on the head that is 1 1/2 inches long. However, regardless of where the hair is acquired, it takes time for the hair to grow out from the root and it is less likely to detect single use of a drug.