Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Does hydrocodne and codeine both test the same in a drug

Customer Question

does hydrocodne and codeine both test the same in a drug test?
Category: Drug Testing
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
Hydrocodone and codeine may only partly test the same, and then only on the screening test.
The standard screening test for opiates is designed to detect the opiates that are converted into morphine, so detects codeine very well, but does not detect hydrocodone well. There is a low chance that the hydrocodone can be detected by the standard opiate screening test. If the standard opiate screening test does detect the hydrocodone, it will look the same as the codeine at this stage.
However, the usual next step after a positive screening test is to perform a confirmatory test, such as GC/MS, and the confirmatory test will be able to differentiate the specific opiate. So, the hydrocodone and codeine will not look the same at this stage.
If I can provide any clarification, please let me know.