Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Does labcorp use a panel test ,much like a home kit

Customer Question

does labcorp use a panel test ,much like a home kit for the initial screening . And if negative that stop. Or do they do a laboratory testing on all urine.
Category: Drug Testing
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a follow up, cause I went to a company party and heard someone spiked my drink and I was later seen in one of the hotel rooms were the conference and party was very wasted but I don't recall much. Someone stated I snorted some coke. it was five 1/2 days ago and the rumor caused my director to have me random tested at a labcorp . Though I receive full retirement from 26 years in the military I like this job and very nervous about the results. I bought a home kit from walgreens one hour before i had to report and it quickly was negative. But I am on formiarl ground and I can't relax since. I read labs do more professional testing. But maybe only if the panel test was preliminary I believe the phrase .???
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
Yes, Labcorp uses a panel test for initial screening, in some ways similar to the over the counter test, but also in some ways different.
The usual process for Labcorp is to first perform a screening test and then only perform a confirmatory test if the screening test is positive. The screening test is an immunoassay type of test, so is similar in method of the over the counter test. All immunoassay tests have a certain amount of false positive results, which is why a confirmatory test, such as gas chromatography/mass spectrometry (or GC/MS), is done.
However, Labcorp offers many different panels of differing scope, such as a 5-drug panel and a 10-drug panel. Labcorp is also willing to work with any company to develop a custom panel. It is impossible to know the scope of the test solely because it was done at Labcorp, it is possible that the scope of the test involved drugs that were not included in the over the counter test.
So, Labcorp does perform a panel screening test and will stop if it is negative and only perform further testing if the screening test is positive. However, Labcorp offers several different panels, so may perform testing for drugs that are not included in the over the counter test.
If I can provide any further information, please let me know.