Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I took a court drug test and the line was faint

Customer Question

I took a court drug test and the line for OxyContin was faint but visible they are sending it to a lab but I thought any line was negative. I drank a lot of water today I don't understand why it's going to the lab should I worry?
Category: Drug Testing
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
If you have not taken any of the drug and are worried that it may be falsely detected, you do not need to worry. The screening tests notoriously have a fair amount of false positives and false negatives, although we are primarily concerned about false positives, which is why the screening tests should not be accepted as proof of a positive test. It is appropriate to get a confirmatory test whenever the screening test is positive, as well as whenever the screening test is ambiguous. If there may be a faint line and the person is trying to decide whether it is there or not, then it is better to get a confirmatory test.
The confirmatory tests are very accurate, so will accurately reflect what has been taken. The only real source of error in the confirmatory test in a qualified lab is from lab error, such as mis-labeling a specimen, and this is quite rare. So, if you have not taken any of the drug, then you can feel confident that the confirmatory test will accurately reflect that no drug is present.
If I can provide any further information, please let me know.