Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have a hair follicle test coming up job and my husband

Customer Question

I have a hair follicle test coming up for a job and my husband accidentally got my perscription mixed up with my sons and gave me his Focalin 10mg about a month and a half ago. Do you know if this will show up on a hair follicle test?
Category: Drug Testing
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
It is possible that use of Focalin can cause a positive screening test for amphetamines in the urine or hair drug testing. However, confirmatory testing will be able to differentiate the dexmethylphenidate in the Focalin from amphetamines. So, the final report will not show any amphetamines.
In addition, a hair follicle test is actually not as good a test at detecting single use of a drug. One of the advantages of hair drug testing is that it can assess a longer period of time, 90 days. But a single use during that 90 days will be more difficult to detect and will frequently be missed, even if it is a drug that is directly tested for. So, while you took the drug within the 90 day period, it is likely that no test will be positive. But if the screen is positive, the confirmatory test will be able to discriminate between the dexmethylphenidate and amphetamines.
If I can provide any further information, please let me know.