Dr. Cameron
Dr. Cameron, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Medical Review Officer
16455829

Ingested liquid vitamins that had ethanol as ingredient- took week in my smoothies -

Customer Question

ingested liquid vitamins that had ethanol as ingredient- took for a week in my smoothies - was also having severe "gallbladder attack " and could only keep down these smoothies. ( RUQ pain, N/V, etc. ) Tested positive on UA - then 3 weeks later had positive PEth of 27ng- now facing inpatient hospitalization !!! I did not drink any alcohol- and submitted label from bottle to monitoring program. Told to check my self into rehab now or get second opinion for "serious disease". Addictionologist states I had to have ingested COPIUOUS amounts of alcohol to have a positive PEth, for weeks. I have 15 negative urine tests,before and after! My question is: could it be possible to have a low level PEth if a) I did ingest ethanol from the vitamin supplement I took for a week B) while I was having a biliary issue/attack, c) and was so sick I only had smoothies?
Category: Drug Testing
Expert:  Dr. Cameron replied 1 year ago.
Will get back to you tonight. Driving
hi
Sorry about the delay for some reason I couldn't log onto this question last night
Anyway, there is a very rare syndrome called auto-brewery syndrome.
Effectively there is a genetic abnormality which affects the way carbohydrate rich foods are processed and so the body produces endogenous alcohol.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10976182
It is conceivable that you have this
That being said, they could test other liver enzymes to see if you actually had any liver damage- this may be able to distinguish between auto-brewery and normal drinking.
The tests to be done would be GGT and AST
But no, your vitamins and smoothies would not cause this.
I hope that this helped
please leave positive feedback for my time and expertise :-)