Family Physician, Board Certified MRO
Experience:  Medical Review Officer - Physician Trained and certified in drug test interpretation

What kind of over the counter drugs can make you fail for meth

What kind of over the counter drugs can make you fail for meth and opiates?
Thank you for your question:

Some additional information will help me give the best possible answer.

Was this a home test, dipstick or some other type if "instant" test OR was this test done with GC/MS confirmation?

I am traveling today, so it may take a few hours to reply to you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

It was a urine test. It's a cup shaped like a toilet bowl and there's 4 strips in front. I haven't had to take it but that's how my husband described it. He takes imodium at least 3 times a week and almost lives on buckley's cough syrup and has taken benylin.

Thank you:

The type of test that you describe uses immunoassay technology. These test are very non-specific; prone to false positive from a number of common medications including decongestants, blood pressure medications, over-the-counter pain medications etc.

To eliminate these false positives, the specimen needs to be tested with GC/MS (gas chromatography-mass spectrometry), since this technology does not give such false positives.