Family Physician, Board Certified MRO
Experience:  Medical Review Officer - Physician Trained and certified in drug test interpretation

Will Trazodone show on on a pre-employment drug screen?

Category: Drug Testing
Expert:  Family Physician replied 4 years ago.
Trazadone is RARELY included in drug testing panels. However, it has been reported as a cause for false positive screening (immunoassay) tests for amphetamines. GC/MS confirmation at a laboratory will however determine that the test is in fact a false positive.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
What is GC/MS confirmation? It will confirm false positive?
GC/MS is gas chromatography-mass spectrometry an advanced forensic testing methodology that essentially gives a "chemical fingerprint" of the specimen. It will determine if the test is a true ("real") positive or a false positive.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have no script for the Trazodone, but take it to help me sleep. If I get back positive for amphetimines, how can I explain it without having to admit I am taking a drug with no script?
If you get a positive for amphetamine, you would need to request that the specimen would be confirmed with GC/MS.

The GC/MS confirmation will NOT show amphetamine, therefore it would be reported as NEGATIVE.