Family Physician, Board Certified MRO
Experience:  Medical Review Officer - Physician Trained and certified in drug test interpretation

Does Fentanyl show up on a standard drug test the same as

Customer Question

Does Fentanyl show up on a standard drug test the same as Oxycontin?
Category: Drug Testing
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 4 years ago.
it depends on the testing system used. Even though Oxycontin is an opiate like fentanyl some tests use a separate antibody test to screen for these two drugs.

Unfortunately, since there are many different types of drugs tests that your employer can use it might be best to see if you can figure out which test they use and, better yet, if it detects fentanyl and oxycontin separately or together as a class.

Does this make sense to you?

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)
I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and please give me positive feedback for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Let me know if there is anything else you would like to discuss pertaining to this issue.
Expert:  Family Physician replied 4 years ago.
The simple answer to your question is that most drug tests conducted for legal or employment purposes would be able to differentiate betweent these 2 drugs since they have completely different metabolites.

GC/MS confirmation tests would identify these as 2 different medications.