Family Physician, Board Certified MRO
Experience:  Medical Review Officer - Physician Trained and certified in drug test interpretation
1304720

I work in the oil and gas industry and routinly take urine

I work in the oil and gas industry and routinly take urine drug screens as well as hair folicle tests. I was taking Lishou for wieght loss, however I saw a FDA report that said it contained Sibutamine. What is it? I thought it was natural herbs. Will this show up on a drug screen? If so as what? If I stop taking it now how long before I can pass? Is it ok for me to continue taking without worry of losing my job?
Category: Drug Testing
Expert:  Family Physician replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question:

As you mentioned, this product contains a medication that was removed from the US market for safety reasons.
http://www.fda.gov/Drugs/ResourcesForYou/Consumers/BuyingUsingMedicineSafely/MedicationHealthFraud/ucm276058.htm

Unfortunately, this is not the first (nor I suspect the last) case where some "herbal" or "miracle" weight loss product was found to contain some illegal substance. Other "diet pills" have been found to contain amphetamines.

Fortunately, Sibutamine should not cause a positive drug test since it is not an amphetamine.

I will tell you my perspective on "herbal" or internet weight loss products - anyone subject to drug testing is plain "nuts" if they place their job in danger by using these products that are not subject to the same degree of FDA oversight and testing. The fact that you though something was "safe" and "legal" will not protect you from being fired when you test positive for any illegal substance or prescription medication for which you do not have a valid prescription.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
CAN YOU TELL ME FOR SURE THAT LISHOU WILL OR WON'T SHOW UP ON A DRUG SCREEN?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
GIVE ME A ANSWER THAT IS COMPLETE AND DEFINATE
I'm sorry that you were not happy with the answer that I gave you.

The product is manufactured and sold by a company that included a banned prescription product in violation of US law. It has been found to contain sibutamine which would not cause a positive drug test.

HOWEVER, any company that would add this illegal drug, would possibly add another drug (such as amphetamine) to boost the effect of their products.

I do not have, and would not be able to perform a complete chemical analysis of this product. Clearly the company included a banned substance, might they in the future include something else?

Anyone using this product - manufactured and sold in violation of US law, places their job in jeopardy.

If you woud prefer, I will opt-out, and ask other experts to look at this question for you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
HOW CAN I TEST MYSELF TO BE SURE THAT THEY DIDN'T ADD OTHER DRUGS.
Unfortunately, the home test kits can give false negatives.

The good news, even if amphetamine was included as a contaminant, it would only be detected for 2-3 days. If you stop the product now, you really should have no problem with future drug tests.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
WHAT ABOUT 90 DAY HAIR FOLICLE? WILL IT SHOW UP?
Theoretically, if they tested for this medication (Sibutamine), it could be detected in hair. HOWEVER, this is NOT a medication that is included in drug testing panels since it is not a drug that is typically abused, and would not be expected to have any negative effect on job performance/safety.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
THANKS, XXXXX XXXXX TO DRIVE YOU NUTS, JUST ONE LAST QUESTION. ARE THERE ANY GOOD LEAGAL SAFE TESTED OVER THE COUNTER MEDS THAT ARE EFFECTIVE? IF SO CAN YOU SUGGEST ONE? HOW ABOUT PRESCRIPTION MEDS THAT MY DOCTOR COULD GET ME A PRESCRIPTION FOR? PLEASE JUST BE HONEST WITH YOUR OPINION, YOU'VE EASED MY MIND ABOUT MY EMPLOYMENT AND I INTEND TO ACCEPT ANSWER FOR MY QUESTION. ANY HELP ON FINDING A GOOD WEIGHT LOSS PROGRAM WOULD BE GREAT. IVE REALLY GAINED WEIGHT SINCE GETTING MY BLOOD PRESSURE UNDER CONTROL AND TAKING COLESTEROL MEDS. I CANT SEEM TO EVER GET ENOUGH TO EAT. I REALY WOULD APPRECIATE A GOOD APPETITE CONTROL PRODUCT. IM ACTIVE AND HEALTHY, HOWEVER I DRINK ALOT WHEN AT HOME ON TIME OFF. THANK YOU VERY MUCH BOBBY
Honestly, there really isn't a perfect diet pill - one that is safe and effective.

Alli - which is available over the counter can help (and is relatively safe), however its mechanism of action is to block absorption of a percentage of the fat you eat. When you do eat fat while on this drug, you end up with diarrhea - sometimes explosive diarrhea.

Your best bet is to eat a sensible balanced diet, reducing the portion size and junk-food snacks. Eliminate sweetened beverages (soda, sports drinks etc) since they are just empty calories.
Family Physician, Board Certified MRO
Experience: Medical Review Officer - Physician Trained and certified in drug test interpretation