Family Physician, Board Certified MRO
Experience:  Medical Review Officer - Physician Trained and certified in drug test interpretation
1304720

I am taking prescription Phentermine. I recently had a pre-employment

Customer Question

I am taking prescription Phentermine. I recently had a pre-employment drug screen called a 6633N SAP 10-50 GC/MS. The laboratory called me because my urine tested positive for amphetamine. I explained to them that the only thing that I was taking was Phentermine. They told me that that would not produce a positive result for amphetamine, and they would have to report their results to my future employer. From everything that I've read, Phentermine does produce a result that is positive for amphetamine. What is your take on this?
Thanks
Category: Drug Testing
Expert:  Family Physician replied 4 years ago.
Phentermine can cause false postives on immunoassay drug tests. This technology is used in screening tests, home test, dipstick or other "instant" point of collection devices.

HOWEVER, phentermine will NOT cause a false positive test on the GC/MS (gas chromatography-mass spectrometry) confirmation test. In this case, since your test was confirmed with GC/MS, they are in fact correct, phentermine will not cause a positive.

Are you taking ANY medications? Did you take any "supplement" or unknown pill?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I left out one little detail. I took an Adderal that my sister had given me, the day before the test. I had an early appointment and hadn't slept the night before due to a pulled hamstring. I have been taking prescriptive Phentermine for about six months. I could have put the test off, but didn't even think about the Adderal. This was a pre-employment screen for a job that I badly want. I can't tell them about the Adderal because it wasn't prescribed for me. Is there any way around this?
The Adderall is the reason for the positive test. Your use of phentermine is NOT a valid explanation for the positive drug test.

Unfortunately, NO - there really isn't anything that will explain this away. Your only option would be to be 100% honest with your perspective employer and just hope that they take pity on you and give you a 2nd chance. You might want to offer to pay for random drug tests over the first 6 months of your employment if they would be willing to give you a second chance (after passing a 2nd pre-employment drug test) - with a written agreement that you would be immediately fired without unemployment benefits if you failed a future test.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
This is not an active question!!!