Family Physician, Board Certified MRO
Experience:  Medical Review Officer - Physician Trained and certified in drug test interpretation
1304720

How long does morphine IV and/or dilaudid IV stay in ur system

Customer Question

How long does morphine IV and/or dilaudid IV stay in ur system for a urine drug screen?
Category: Drug Testing
Expert:  Family Physician replied 5 years ago.
The detection period in urine for either of these drugs in in the 2-3 day range.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Even if it was given in high doses IV? Also if the urine drug screen is a send out that measures all medications and the levels of medication?
Yes, even with higher doses, the detection period would not be expected to be longer than 3 days. Obviously, the longer the time from use of the medication until the test the more certain that the test would be negative.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Sorry last question! So after 3 days it should measure 0 levels of that specific drug?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I ask because in the hospital I was given 3 mg of morphine IV late Monday night and I have a send out urine drug screen for a new job and I want to make sure it wouldn't show up? So it should not right?

Yes, after 3 days, your test should be negative.

Also, you must understand that drug tests are done to deter and detect the use of illegal drugs and the abuse of prescription drugs without a prescription.

Since the morphine was administred by a hospital, it would NOT be a problem in a pre-employment drug test since the valid medical use could be explain any positive test.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I understand that it being administered by the hospital is excusable, but this pre-employment states any positive test regardless, dismisses you from the job! However if the 3 mg of morphine that was given IV Monday night should be out of my system now right? or shall I say when?

By 3 days, the test should be negative. If you wanted to be even more certain, 4 days would be better.

Honestly, I have never heard of a pre-employment that excluded someone with a positive test for a pain medication that was given in a hospital for a valid medical condition.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I know I keep bothering you and I apologize but I guess i'm just trying to make sure that if the medication (morphine 3mg IV) was given to me late monday night should it be out of my system by tomorrow afternoon?
That would be almost 72 hours, so it would most likely be negative by that time. That dose is not particular high, so it would likely (but not 100% certain) be negative.

I would be happier if the test was AT LEAST 72 hours.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you Doctor
You're welcome.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I just wanted to say thank you again. The test was negative and it worked out just fine, so thank you again doctor!!!
Thank you for letting me know how things turned out.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Your welcome, and once again thank you, it was a pleasure I never used this website before, but I will definatly b using it againt!!!
I'm just glad we could help.