Family Physician, Board Certified MRO
Experience:  Medical Review Officer - Physician Trained and certified in drug test interpretation

I had a false positive random drug test and was taking pseudoephedrine

I had a false positive random drug test and was taking pseudoephedrine hydrochloride the day before. Could this cause a hot test?
Category: Drug Testing
Expert:  Family Physician replied 4 years ago.
Which drug was identified on the drug test?

Was the drug test an immunoassay (home test, dipstick or other "instant" test) or gas chromatography-mass spectrometry (GC/MS)?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Amphetamine test was done at work in a lab. It was a split test that was sent to a quest lab.
I assume then that the test was in fact confirmed with GC/MS. This technology really is the "gold standard" or forensic testing and pseudoephedrine would NOT cause a false positive.

You should however check if this was confirmed with GC/MS. If you have not used any drugs, then your option would be to request the split specimen be tested to confim the findings on the first bottle.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Just wondering why several web sites say pseudoephedrine use will show amphetamines. Is there some confusion on this.
Pseudoephedrine can cause false positive on the SCREENING immunoassay, but NOT on a GC/MS confirmed test.