Family Physician, Board Certified MRO
Experience:  Medical Review Officer - Physician Trained and certified in drug test interpretation

I took Cocaine ONE time on December 23rd. It is now January

I took Cocaine ONE time on December 23rd. It is now January 15th and I have a drug test January 22nd. 27 days after the fact. It is a urine test. I am 115 pounds, 5'8. Real slender obviously. Do you think 27 days is enough time for the drug and the metabolite to pass through my system in that amount of time? I should add that Yes it was a one time thing but I did it all night. That being said I have not done anything since December 23rd into the morning of December 24th. And it is now Jan 15th and I sitll have a week before the test. I know Cocaine is out in 2-3 days but what about the metabolite for a guy of my size?
Category: Drug Testing
Expert:  Family Physician replied 2 years ago.
The detection period for a single use of cocaine is in the 2-3 day range. The longest detection period (in urine) ever reported for someone with chronic heavy use was 22 days.

Your test will be negative at this point.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I understand the drug itself will be out of my system. But in the above answer were you refrring to the drug itself or the metabolite detection period that the cocaine itself creates after use?? The metabolite still showing up is what I am really worried about. Despite the fact it has been close to 27 days after that one night use.
It is the metabolite that is used for detection of cocaine. The detection periods I gave you refer to the metabolite.

WIth a single use, there is really no reason to be concerned about a positive drug test 27 days.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Well, I did take a lab test that I paid for myself 3 days after the fact. The test was sent to Quest Diagnostics which from what I understand they are supposed to be one of the best. Anyway after just 3 days it showed negative and they were supposed to check for the chemical the cocaine created as well.

I was skeptical that the test worked correctly because someone told me I took the test too early and didnt even give the cocaine or the metabolite enough time to enter my urine?? Anyway i know that is a crazy question I just don't know much about this.
Tests for cocaine metabolites can be positive within a few hours of use, and generally the detection period is in the 2-3 day range (depending on the dose).

Your negative test at 3 days is something that I would expect. Your test will be negative (unless you use again).
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It looks like the next big thing I have to worry about is the hair. That came back positive on a private test I had the same day as the urine confirmation testing. Just want to clarify, even from one night of doing tht all night would my hair still show positive for the 90 day period or is that number generally reserved for a habitiual or chronic user?
Theoretically, a single use of cocaine can cause a positive drug test for up to 90 days.

I am a bit surprised that you tested positive 3 days after use on hair, since it can take up to 7 days for the hair to grow long enough to be included in the specimen. This might suggest a somewhat faster than normal rate of hair growth, which might give you a slightly shorter detection period on hair.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

That above is referring to positive drug test for hair, correct? Just to clarify??? Yes, the more I read about it I too was surprised. My hair grows fast but NOT that fast.

However, just to clarify a few points. I did cocaine all night long and into the morning hours that night. That morning I went to get an over the counter drug test and failed it twice. After that I waited 2 1/2 not even 3 full days later and got work done that was sent to a lab and it came back Negative. So, that made me feel better. I was just making sure from a professional if it seemed they might have messed up the test but you don't seem to think so.

My job doesnt require a hair test since they are expensive but the urine test. I was just reading all these horror stories online about the cocaine metabolite hanging around the body for weeks or months at a time.

Also, cocaine or it's metabolites don't stick around like THC does, correct? I have not done THC just getting clarification on my research I have done elsewhere online. But it sounds in my favor as I still have another 5 days until my drug test.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry to keep asking. It is just I have read in message boards people claiming to have popped hot on a test 60-90 days after cocaine use. No doubting anything you have told me. Just looking for more clarification and peace of mind.
YES - the 90 days would be for a HAIR test....

RELAX, and quit doing so much reading on less than reputable sites. I believe that much of this is designed to scare people into buying worthless products that claim to help you pass a drug test. If they have you convinced that the detection period is much longer than it really is, then you will be think that the reason you pass a test was their worthless product.

My answer is based on over 10 years practice as a MRO and a complete review of the medical/scientific literature on this subject.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok. Thank You. Yes I am no only reading other websites but also sites as message boards, etc. But, as I mentoned way above I paid for a lab test with Quest Diagnostics and they are supposed to be one of the best. I actually went to go get my test result paper and it said Cocaine Metabolite, so it looks they tested for everything and not just the cocaine itself. You have been most helpful and I am not going to worry about this anymore. And I am not doing that anymore either!
Great... Have a nice evening
Family Physician, Board Certified MRO
Experience: Medical Review Officer - Physician Trained and certified in drug test interpretation
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
More information. You would consider doing it one night ALL night long into the early morning hours still one use, correct? Sorry just still a little worried. I wil be until after this test is over. I know I shouldn't be worried at this point though. I just wanted to make it clear that I didn't inhale only once but continously all night long.
The time from you use is longer than the longest detection period ever reported in any reputable medical journal/scientific study. If your test was positive, it would be considered a world record detection period.

I see NO reason to be concerned.
Family Physician, Board Certified MRO
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
One more general question about cocaine metabolites, not the cocaine itself. So, basically it flushes through your system fast especially with me being a very small guy?The only reason I was worried before is that the cutoff level is going to be well below the standard level. But this is the last im going to worry about it and other people have said the same as you to just not worry. As I said it is just the cuttoff levels are something like 100-150 range instead of the 300 for the cocaine metabolites.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I guess I should rephrase the above. You are saying that not only should i NOT have a detection postive but from all of your research and years of study you are pretty sure that the metabolite is completely out of my system?? Also, do most labs just do the initial test and if you test negative they do not do the GC/MS confirmation test or do they generally do both?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I figure the Cocaine Metabolite tested negative December 28th at 300 ng/ml level and surely now it would be even below the 50 ng/ml level?

And thank you. Sorry for keep asking the same questions differently over again it's just my career I have been thinking about. And, you have been most helpful to me throughout the past few days.
Yes - Your test is planned at a time beyond longest detection period ever reported in a medical/scientific journal.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you. I just recieved results from a lab, quest diagnostics, that I had performed again today and it came back negative for the cocaine metabolite. it was the 300ng/ml range. The one I was worried about was a military one where the range is as low as 25ng/ml. But I have a good feeling about it especially since this private test I did came back negative. Thank you
I honestly would NOT worry!
Family Physician, Board Certified MRO