Family Physician, Board Certified MRO
Experience:  Medical Review Officer - Physician Trained and certified in drug test interpretation
1304720

can exposure to acetone and paint thinners cause a false positive

Customer Question

can exposure to acetone and paint thinners cause a false positive for meth on a hair follicle drug test ?
Category: Drug Testing
Expert:  Family Physician replied 2 years ago.
There is no scientific evidence that acetone or paint thinners would cause a false positive hair test for methamphetamine.

Are you taking any medications?

Have you ever used methamphetamine?

Have you been in an environment where methamphetamine was being cooked?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

i am taking adderall

no

no

i paint for a living and have constant contact with aceton and paint thinners , i have been told that those are one of the main ingredients to cook the crap . i am in a huge custody battle and have tested positive for meth and have never touched the stuff please help!!!

Thank you:

The fact that these type of solvents are used in the production of methamphetamine does not mean that they cause false positive drug tests.

Hair tests are typically confirmed with GC/MS (gas chromatography-mass spectrometry), technology that is very specific - essentially a "chemical fingerprint" of the specimen. It is not subject to the false positives that you may find reported on various lists for immunoassay drug (screening) tests.

The one issue with hair tests is concern over external contamination and the need for proper pretest washing of the collected specimen.

You should check if the test was indeed confirmed with GC/MS (or the equally effective LC/MS) technology.

If so, you could have your attorney arrange for repeat hair testing through a different laboratory.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

the test results came back for amounts large enough to kill a horse and it was the second test done from another lab ? what could be causing this because im about 50 pounds over weight and have all of my teeth and have NEVER done meth

Unless you have been working in buildings where methamphetamine has been cooked, this could cause exposure.