Family Physician, Board Certified MRO
Experience:  Medical Review Officer - Physician Trained and certified in drug test interpretation
1304720

I last smoked pot ten days ago, and I have a random drug test

I last smoked pot ten days ago, and I have a random drug test coming up. I was a regular user, and quit as soon as I got a job offer. I was thinking about using synthetic urine, but have heard that labs will test for this? I have to begin random drug screen's upon begging work. It's a basic 5-panel +ETOH, which will be sent out to a lab, not just the dip stick test. I have also thought about using a friends urine, but am concerned about the shelf life, refrigerated or frozen?
Category: Drug Testing
Expert:  Family Physician replied 4 years ago.
I would urge against use of "synthetic urine" or a friends urine.

The detection period for marijuana depends on the frequency of use. With use 3-4 times per week - typically 5-7 days. With daily use, 10-15 days and with HEAVY daily use this can be as long as 30 day or more (in extreme cases).

Unless you were a heavy user, it is likely that your test would be negative now (or within the next few days)
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes, I already knew those facts, regarding detection times thank you though. I spent the money because I wanted to get answers regarding the synthetic urine being able to be detected or regularly tested for in labs. As well as how long the shelf life of human urine was if it were to be refigerated or frozen. I think I will be okay with my next test, and am taking my own personal test on monday just to make sure, however I am trying to get information and backups just in case my test monday turn out positive. I am just trying to cover all my bases. I was a daily user before, usually just smoking to help go to sleep, or if I had an overly stressed day. The levels of my last test, when I smoked the day before were 232ng/mL. I'm 6'2 200lbs. Any additional information you could provide would be appreciated. Thanks.
The so called "synthetic urines" are produced and sold by less than reputable companies. These products are not inspected or subjected to independent quality control. The exact nature of any such product would be variable and purely a random throw of the dice.

Also - drug testing collection protocols are designed to prevent/detect use of containers of "urine" or the addition of any substance to the specimen. I can assure you from a number of years that many people who think they are being "smart" end up failing the test because of attempts to substitute or tamper with a specimen.

If/when you are discovered cheating on a test - your employer will deal with this exactly the same as a positive test.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok, thanks for your information, my last questions: what do you think of the levels being of my last test on the 6th, when I smoked the day before being 232ng/mL. I'm 6'2 200lbs. And I do realize the ramifications about cheating on a test, I am not planning on doing do, however I still want to know the shelf life of human urine if it were to be refrigerated or frozen? I understand if you have an ethical problem with these questions, I'm just trying to get some information and education from an expert. I think I will be okay to pass on my own. Thanks again for your expertise.
Urine kept frozen would give not change test results - however drug tests are checked immediately for temperature, and it is difficult to keep a specimen within the tight temperature limits needed.

As I previously mentioned, collection procedures are designed to detect any such attempts at cheating.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
my last question: what do you think of the levels being of my last test on the 6th, when I smoked the day before being 232ng/mL. I'm 6'2 200lbs.
Those levels are not partiulary high based on your history of use. It does not change my opinion that your test would likely be negative within 10-15 days.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
my last questions: what do you think of the levels being of my last test on the 6th, when I smoked the day before being 232ng/mL. I'm 6'2 200lbs.
These levels are within the range expecte based on your recent use.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
sorry, didn't mean to ask that last question twice. my bad. Thanks for all your help. I tipped you $5, I know it's not much, but money is tight until I start getting paid. Thanks again for your patience, and I hope you have a merry Christmas.
Thank you very much - Good luck