Family Physician, Board Certified MRO
Experience:  Medical Review Officer - Physician Trained and certified in drug test interpretation

Is there any way around the hair drug test? How sensitive

Is there any way around the hair drug test? How sensitive is this test?
Category: Drug Testing
Expert:  Family Physician replied 4 years ago.
What drugs have you been using?

How often/how much?

When did you last use?

When will the test be done?

Why are you having a drug test?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I was just curious in general. My company uses this test and I have seen some people let go because it. I understand the general process of how it works. The hair is burned and the smoke is passed through a spectrograph and a signiture from the chemical elements in the compound is unique identifying it..... Is there a way around the test other than shaving? My wife uses Ritalin and I won't even handle the drug for fear it would show up in my test...

Let me start with your concern regarding handling the Ritalin. There is no evidence that you would have a positive drug test from simply handling this medication.

While you may find a number of products that make claims of "detoxing" hair, "masking" or "beating" hair tests - there is no scientific evidence that any of the products work. The drugs and drug metabolites are incorporated into the shaft of the hair as it is growing.

As for shaving - body hair can be used - which actually tends to give a longer detection period.