Family Physician, Board Certified MRO
Experience:  Medical Review Officer - Physician Trained and certified in drug test interpretation
1304720

how do i get cotinine out of my system.I smoke cigarrettes

how do i get cotinine out of my system.I smoke cigarrettes, one pack a day,marlboro gold regular length, and have a urine test tomorrow?
Category: Drug Testing
Expert:  Family Physician replied 5 years ago.
Unfortunately, there is nothing that you can do to eliminate the cotinine from your system. TIME is the only way to pass a urine cotinine test. Depending on the sensitivity of the paticular test it can take up to 2 weeks or more to have a negative cotinine test.

Nicotine from any source; cigarettes, nicotine gum, nicotine inhaler, "E-cigarettes" o nicotine patches all will cause a positive cotinine in urine.

I wish I could give you a different answer, but I do have to be honest with you.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
unfortunately I have to disagree with your answer.I did three different things -one of which was drinking 16 oz of water each hour the day before and day of the test and drank a grocery store availble fruit drink-pomegranate cranberry juice about 3 hours before the test, and took an Omni Cleansing soft gel 90 minutes before the test. I passed the test. May have been luck and I am not medically qualified to know if the above mentioned combination helped me pass the test.What is your opinion?
You were lucky. Apparently the test that this particular laboratory did was not very sensitive, and your intak of large amounts of water may have diluted the cotinine below the threshold of the test.

As I previously said, there is nothing that can be done to remove the cotinine from the body faster than it would otherwise. It is however impossible for me or any of the experts to know the specific test thresholds that might be used. Clearly this lab was not using the most accurate or sensitive tests - lucky for you!