Family Physician, Board Certified MRO
Experience:  Medical Review Officer - Physician Trained and certified in drug test interpretation
1304720

Can Amoxicillin Cause A False/Postive Hair Follicle Drug S

Customer Question

Can Amoxicillin Cause A False/Postive Hair Follicle Drug Screen?
Submitted: 3 years ago via AskDocWeb.
Category: Drug Testing
Expert:  Family Physician replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question.

While you may see various sites on the web claiming that amoxicillin causes false positive drug tests, there is actually NO scientific evidence to support those claims. One published study actually tends to refute those claims.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18430300

Also, hair tests are confirmed with GC/MS technology which would eliminate even the possibility of a false positive. False positives only occur with immunoassay drug tests.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
This Test Was On A 6 Month Old Baby And They Said It Was Over 10,000.There Is No Way That Could Be!!!
Why was the baby tested?

Which drug was identified in the drug test?

Does anyone in the house use drugs?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

the mother did not know that she was prgnant at the time of birth. the baby tested posittive for thc and benzo's. DSS took the mother for a hair test on 7/23/11. they tested the baby a week later only because the mother could only test from the hair on her head. thats why baby ws teseted.

test showed: cocaine- 10,104 pg

benzo- 966pg

marijuana metabolites- 0.2pg

no one uses drugs in the house she resides in.

Was the baby being breast fed?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
no, bottle.but she had an ear infection in may,2011.And was told to give her 2 full suringes a day, for 10 days and eye drops for an eye infection thatr came from the ear infection.
There is absolutely no scientific evidence to support amoxicillin or an infection causing false positive drug tests for cocaine, benzodiazepine or marijuana if this test was confirmed with GC/MS or LC/MS.

It is important to check that the test was indeed confirmed with GC/MS or LC/MS - two technologies that essentially produce a "chemical fingerprint" of the specimen.

There is however good evidence to support passive exposure of infants/children from living in homes where drugs are used or cooked (as in methamphetamine labs)
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
what are GC/MS and LC/MS?
GC/MS = Gas chromatography-mass spectroscopy
LC/MS =
Liquid chromatography–mass spectrometry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
how are levels messured? 10,104 would be like what?
These results would be consistant with intake of cocaine. This can occur from contamination of the environment, utenils etc.
http://jpet.aspetjournals.org/content/313/2/909.full.pdf+html

I should mention, that use of cocaine during pregnancy could account for at least some of the level seen in the hair.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
how come the mothers test only showed up cocaine 613pg and she does not use cocaine? cocaine was not used during pregnancy and wasnt in drug test at birth for either one.
The incorporation of cocaine into hair varies from person to person. The fact that the mother's hair showed some cocaine would suggest that she had indeed used cocaine. Even if she did not intentionally use cocaine, her other drugs (including marijuana) may have been spiked with the drug.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Why Didn't The Cocaine Show Up At Birth On Either One?
If neither the baby or the mother was positive for cocaine at birth, and both are now positive - the only scientifically valid explanation is cocaine use/exposure since birth for both the mother and the baby.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
they are saying the benzos and thc is crystalizing in her liver or kidneys one, how is that? and if the child takes long naps and sleeps (mother too) in a room someone smoked crack in for months could that be the way they got it?
Environmental contamination of surfaces including furniture and clothing can theoretically contribute to positive drug tests.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
what about the crystaling in the liver and kidneys?
I'm not sure exactly what they mean by "crystalizing in the liver" or kidneys.

THC (from marijuana) is stored in fat to some extent, and this accounts for the longer detection period of THC in urine compared to other drugs.