Family Physician, Board Certified MRO
Experience:  Medical Review Officer - Physician Trained and certified in drug test interpretation
1304720

For a in Dr. office visit urine test does ativan and valium

For a in Dr. office visit urine test does ativan and valium show up the same?
Category: Drug Testing
Expert:  Family Physician replied 5 years ago.
The best answer I can give you is POSSIBLY.

Both of these medications are benzodiazepines, and if the office is using a dipstick or instant test that identifies the benzodiazepines as a class, then no difference would be identified.

HOWEVER, many physicians send all "non-negatives" off to a laboratory for GC/MS confirmation. With GC/MS confirmation, it is easy to differentiate between Ativan and Valium.

Without knowing the specific testing protocol that an individual physician is using, the best I can give you is the "maybe"
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The test is a urine sample in a cup with the bottom of the cup showing results and temperature of urine. How long would it take for valium to be out of my system?
Valium can be detected up to 30 days after chronic use, however is most cases, the test is negative within 10 days.

The type of testing that you describe would not identify the difference between Ativan and Valium, UNLESS, the specimen was then sent to a laboratory for confirmation.