Family Physician, Board Certified MRO
Experience:  Medical Review Officer - Physician Trained and certified in drug test interpretation

can you have a positive hydrone hair test 4.5 months after

can you have a positive hydrOCODINE hair test 4.5 months after taking the drug even though the test only suppose to go back 3 months with 1.5 inch hair lenght
Category: Drug Testing
Expert:  Family Physician replied 5 years ago.
The simple answer is YES, potentially. The 90 day detection period reported for hair testing is the AVERAGE. Some people have somewhat slower growth of hair, and some have somewhat faster hair growth.

This detection period is possible, but it may also represent more recent use.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
But I tested positive a whole month and a half after 3 months . I did not use after 4.5 months ago and it came back positive , I read the detection period can very but mostly only by one or two weeks
Unfortunately, there is marked variation in the rate of hair growth, as supported by scientific studies. There are also slight variations in the collection procedures that can lead to slightly longer detection period.

For example; the growth rate in the last article ranged from 0.99 to 1.27 cm/month. Using the standard collection length of 1.5 inch. Clearly the detection period for someone at the lower end of the range would have a significantly longer detection period.

This study also documented a difference in the rate of hair growth by season: