Family Physician, Board Certified MRO
Experience:  Medical Review Officer - Physician Trained and certified in drug test interpretation

Medtox labs urine drug test showed PROC CODE was 80101. What is this?

I had a urine drug test done from Medtox labs in Mpls. What does the number of 'units' indicate? The PROC CODE was 80101 if that helps.
Category: Drug Testing
Expert:  Family Physician replied 5 years ago.
The CPT code 80101 refers to a qaulitative (a simple Positive/Negative rather than a quantitative test that give an actual level) drug test for a SINGLE class of drugs. The number of units would refer to the number of drug classes that were tested.

For example; a test that checked for opiates, cocaine, amphetamine, marijuana and PCP would be billed as 5 units.

I hope this has answered your question.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I'm not sure I understand. Does the PROC CODE 80101 (drug screen single) indicate positive or negative? As well as:

83925 - assay of opiates

80154 - assay of benzodiazepines

80154 - gas/liquid chromatography

83840 - assay of methadone

82145 - assay of amphetamines

82520 - assay of cocaine

82055 - assay of ethanol

82570 - assay of urine creatinine

Does any of this tell me if I am positive or negative?

These are BILLING codes (CPT codes), and not results.

The 80101 are considered screening tests. (Typically immunoassay). These additional codes are more specific codes for quanitification.

Typically, the laboratory performs the screening test. If the test is "non-negative" (a possible positive), the laboratory does the quantitative confirmation test. The fact that the screening test was not negative could be caused by a true positive (which would be confirmed with the GC/MS) or a false positive.

The only way to know if this was positive or negative would be to have the results. The billing information does not provide results.