Family Physician, Board Certified MRO
Experience:  Medical Review Officer - Physician Trained and certified in drug test interpretation

Is there anyway to beat a hair follicle test

Customer Question

Is there anyway to beat a hair follicle test?
Category: Drug Testing
Expert:  Family Physician replied 3 years ago.
I'm not sure you are going to like the answer, but I do have to be honest wit you. Unfortunately, there really is nothing that you can do to eliminate the drug from the hair for a drug test.

Shampoos and other "treatments" applied to the hair and products taken by mouth that claim to "detox" or "flush" the body of drugs do not work and some of these products can actually cause medical complications.

The drug (and metabolites) are incorporated into the shaft of the hair itself as it grows. It is a bit like adding something (gravel, dye etc) to concrete as it is poured. For this reason, treatments don't work.

The only thing that works is TIME, approximately 90 days drug free since the standard collection length used for hair testing is equal to the average growth in 90 days.

Some people try to beat the test by shaving their head, this will only result in them using body hair, which is slower growing and results in an even longer detection period.
Family Physician, Board Certified MRO
Experience: Medical Review Officer - Physician Trained and certified in drug test interpretation
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
My hair grows very slow will this effect the results of the test?
The only effect a slower rate of hair gowth would have would be an extended length of detection. The 90 day detection period is based on average rate of hair growth. There is some variability so the detection period might extend to 4 or 5 months if hair growth was very slow.