Family Physician, Board Certified MRO
Experience:  Medical Review Officer - Physician Trained and certified in drug test interpretation

What drugs elevate blood alcohol levels

What drugs elevate blood alcohol levels?
Category: Drug Testing
Expert:  Family Physician replied 5 years ago.
Can you be more specific in your question; Are you asking if certain medications would cause a false positive blood alcohol level?

Is this a theoretical question, or question about a specific case?

If a specific case;
what was the blood alcohol?
How much did they drink over what time?
What is the height/weight?
Male or female?
What medications are they taking?

Please be patient, I see patients, and answer questions part time. It may take a few hours for me to respond after I get your reply.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I had 3 beers . i weigh 240. My blood level wad .09. So i got arrested. I had taken hydocodone and some other drug i can't remember perscribed for knee surgery. I explained that. His reply tell it to the judge. I'm thinking it had to be the combination of drugs.
There are interactions between hydrocodone and other opiate pain medications and alcohol that can cause one to be MORE impaired, however this is not related in increase in the blood alcohol level but additive effects of the two drugs.

There may be small differences between the blood alcohol with certain medications based on the rate at which the stomach empties (resulting in more rapid absorption), just like alcohol consumed with food is absorbed less quickly.

Here is an article on the interactions between drugs and alcohol.
You will notice that most interactions are effects on the speed at which other drugs are metabolized with chronic alcohol use.

From a legal perspective; an elevated blood alcohol while driving is a violation irrespective of the "reason" by it is elevated. Also, you should know that drugs such as hydrocodone that impair driving can lead to legal problems also.