Family Physician, Board Certified MRO
Experience:  Medical Review Officer - Physician Trained and certified in drug test interpretation
1304720

How long does alcohol stay in your system?

HOW LONG DOES ALCOHOL STAYS IN YOUR SYSTEM IN A URINE TEST? I'm a 42 year-old male, lean, moderate drinker (2 drinks per night..only one or two nights a week)
Category: Drug Testing
Expert:  Family Physician replied 7 years ago.
Do you know the specific type of testing that is being done?

What is the reason for the test?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

PBTS/Urinalysis. I'm on probation and alcohol can't be detected on my system.

I don't know what kind of urine test it is...if it's the ETG I know it stays pretty long. Is this regularly the test they use? What if they used a "regular" urine test?

If they perform a simple urine alcohol, this test would only be positive (show alcohol in your system) for a few hours after drinking. Alcohol is cleared from the body at the rate of 1 drink per hour. If you had 2 drinks, any urine produced by the kidney after 2-3 hours would be expected to be clean (although urine in the bladder from earlier would still be positive)

The EtG and EtS tests can detect recent alcohol use (depending on the particular sensitivity of the test used) for up to 5 days.