CounselorJules
CounselorJules, Counselor
Experience:  Licensed Professional Counselor
92608932

Why do I dream as a female if I'm male?

Customer Question

Why do I dream as a female if I'm male?
Submitted: 7 days ago.
Category: Dream Interpretation
Expert:  CounselorJules replied 7 days ago.

Hi,I'm Jules, a LPC,I am reviewing your question now, and will post back with your thorough reply briefly :)

Thank you for your question about your dreams. I feel that it is important that I share a bit with you about the theory that I most like to refer to, but also the theorist so that you understand the perspective that i work from. I tend to rely on symbolism of the dreams and focus on what your personal emotional response is to the dreams. i rely on a Jungian perspective for the significance. "According to Jung, dreams are a way of communicating and acquainting yourself with the unconscious. Dreams are not attempts to conceal your true feelings from the waking mind, but rather they are a window to your unconscious. They serve to guide the waking self to achieve wholeness and offer a solution to a problem you are facing in your waking life." (resource:http://www.dreammoods.com/dreaminformation/dreamtheory/jung.htm) "Some researchers believe that dreams help you to tackle stress. Dreaming is a necessity and helps to recharge the mind and revitalize the body. In dreams, negative emotions tend to occur twice as often as pleasant feelings. Fear and anxiety are the most commonly expressed emotions in dreams, followed by anger and sadness." Jung also believed that you can interpret your own dreams by focusing on the emotional response and looking for correlations. It is also believed that you can interpret your own dreams with the correct tools. I do encourage you to look at purchasing a dream dictionary. I have several at home, but there are also great internet resources. One thing to consider about your dreams, is that they often occur more vividly or frequently while you are processing a change or transition. We will look at your symbolism and then determine how it fits best for you. You will know how it is applicable, but i hope that I can provide you with the symbolism and you can look for the themes that fit your personal situation.

This dream could be less about gender but more about personality traits and characteristics. Most of us have both male and female characteristics. If you are a male, and dream about being female, it may mean that you are evaluating your role and how you are perceived by society. Perhaps you are feeling self-conscious about specific gender roles. It can also mean that you need to incorporate aspects of the opposite sex into your own character. Maybe there are some situations occurring that suggest that you try a different approach. It can also be that you may be having conflict with a member of the opposite sex and you need to focus on how to experience a sense of "empathy" for their feelings? Maybe attempt to "soften" in your approach and have a more nurturing perspective?

Expert:  CounselorJules replied 6 days ago.

I hope that this has been helpful and that you will provide a positive rating (3 stars or better) for the answer or interpretation that you have received. You can do this by clicking on the rating button and providing a score. The communication does not have to cease if you provide a rating, but it is the only way that the experts receive credit. My goal is to provide with you excellent service. I wish you the best and if you need further clarification, please feel free to ask more questions. I can also send more specific resources if necessary for you! Thank you! Jules