Mrs.SandMan
Mrs.SandMan, Consultant
Experience:  Spiritual Scholar of dreaming last 5 years.
11507085

What does it mean when you dream about flying? Van

Customer Question

What does it mean when you dream about flying?
Van
Category: Dream Interpretation
Expert:  Dr. Norman Brown replied 3 months ago.

Let's cultivate your dream together, so your scenes & symbols give a higher perspective on your life & show us guidance we have never known before.

As usual with any generic question about dreams, there are several possibilities of meaning, and central images or processes usually have 2 or more complementary & roughly opposite meanings. Flying is usually a process, and the experience of your dream ego in flying is showing some significant aspects of the ways you deal with your reality in what could be considered a "God's-eye view' That is the Higher Power that designs & directs your dreams as emerging sleep experience-movies intends for you to observe yourself in action with special attention to the partial images of yourself that are accentuated in the scene(s).

On one side, you may be transcending ordinary earthly&practical issues, gaining a broader & more inspirational view of your possibilities, or traveling out-of-body to achieve inner connections with people and potentials that are far away when you're awake. On the other side, you may also be avoiding outer-world challenges to live an inner reality of spiritual inspiration, exploring inner worlds while leaving the world around you untouched and unresponsive to your presence.

But this introduction gives only unrelated generalizations until it is paired with the actual contents of specific dreams, in which the plotlines and scene-sequences can provide far more specific meanings about the ways your mind uses its spiritual capacities to master, sublimate, or stimulate your personal surrounding and promote your spiritual growth and/or to toy with alternative states of consciousness while withdrawing from the context in which you might otherwise be making progress with and for the significant people in your world.

It's likely to be valuable to consider both applications of the imagery to the current events and lifestyle choices that are triggering these dreams, but essential to keep all the scenes and details in relation to each other--and if you're also a real pilot, there's another level of interpretation as well. So if you really want to understand how your generic question can become valuable for YOURSELF in relation to your present place in life, you should provide a recent example dream or two, with likely triggering events or thoughts&feelings and precise details that could be weighed in the context of your waking experience and consciousness.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
i guess i should've given more details... it was a wedding scene and i was one of the guests. while the ceremony is taking place, i saw myself fly out of my body and saw the couple saying their vows.

Did either the bride or the groom look like a particular person you know or don't know? How did each of them look?--or did you not "see" any details but just "know" they were bride and groom? What are your thoughts and feelings about marriage? Are you in a love relationship (same sex or opposite sex) now or in the recent past? Did you identify more with one or the other?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The bride and the groom are both strangers to me, their faces are unfamiliar. I just knew they were bride and groom cause they were wearing wedding clothes particularly the woman. Her dress is obviously a wedding dress. The expression on their faces were passive, they don't look particularly happy for a couple getting married. I felt strange watching them. I can't feel a festive vibe in the scene, even the other guests are not showing any signs of excitement for the couple. I haven't been in a serious relationship in the recent past but I'm in a long distance relationship with a guy right now. We only see each other 3 months in a year, he's a sailor.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
am i still going to get an answer from you? or do i need to ask for another expert? it has been more than a week...
Expert:  Mrs.SandMan replied 2 months ago.

Id be happy to help you in understanding your dream. Flying in dreams shows a higher level of freedom or elevation in area's of one's life. The wedding it showing a commitment. Since the bride and groom did not show any excitement. It can be relating to a commitment in your life that you feel in the same manner. Perhaps you are not excited about this commitment that you are making a choice whether to go with or not. So perhaps with all the symbols, do you feel that you will loose your sense of freedom if you choose to make a commitment pertaining to something personal within your life? Whether it be a new job, marriage, etc.. if you have any more questions please feel free to ask.