CounselorJules
CounselorJules, Counselor
Experience:  Licensed Professional Counselor
92608932

I keep dreaming we rebuy the house we used to live in (which

Customer Question

I keep dreaming we rebuy the house we used to live in (which I hated, I love our current home). We lived there when our children were born/babies. I always dream I need to wake up & see that I'm in our current home, but can't. It's horribly frustrating. I also dream we have rebought it after massive renovations involving dividing house into apartments & adding very modern upgrades. There are usually family members visiting who have passed. And the dining room &/or food are a common presence. These are NEVER pleasant dreams.
Category: Dream Interpretation
Expert:  CounselorJules replied 3 months ago.

Hi,I'm Jules, a LPC,I am reviewing your question now, and will post back with your thorough reply briefly :)

I feel that it is important that I share a bit with you about the theory that I most like to refer to, but also the theorist so that you understand the perspective that i work from. I tend to rely on symbolism of the dreams and focus on what your personal emotional response is to the dreams. i rely on a Jungian perspective for the significance. "According to Jung, dreams are a way of communicating and acquainting yourself with the unconscious. Dreams are not attempts to conceal your true feelings from the waking mind, but rather they are a window to your unconscious. They serve to guide the waking self to achieve wholeness and offer a solution to a problem you are facing in your waking life." (resource:http://www.dreammoods.com/dreaminformation/dreamtheory/jung.htm) "Some researchers believe that dreams help you to tackle stress. Dreaming is a necessity and helps to recharge the mind and revitalize the body. In dreams, negative emotions tend to occur twice as often as pleasant feelings. Fear and anxiety are the most commonly expressed emotions in dreams, followed by anger and sadness." Jung also believed that you can interpret your own dreams by focusing on the emotional response and looking for correlations. It is also believed that you can interpret your own dreams with the correct tools. I do encourage you to look at purchasing a dream dictionary. I have several at home, but there are also great internet resources. One thing to consider about your dreams, is that they often occur more vividly or frequently while you are processing a change or transition. We will look at your symbolism and then determine how it fits best for you. You will know how it is applicable, but i hope that I can provide you with the symbolism and you can look for the themes that fit your personal situation. As I read your question, I recognized that your dream is much about your progression as a person and your personal evolution. I am not sure of your age, but the dream may be related to your lifespan developmental stage and how you feel you have succeeded or even areas where you experience a sense of sadness or regret. To see your home or your house in a dream is indicative of your own soul or psyche. I am going to send you a specific section from a resource that I often use that goes over several aspects of dreaming about a house....

"To see a house in your dream represents your own soul and self. Specific rooms in the house indicate a specific aspect of your psyche. In general, the attic represents your intellect, the basement represents the subconscious, etc. If the house is empty, then it indicates feelings of insecurity. If the house is shifting, then it suggests that you are going through some personal changes and changing your belief system. To dream that a house has no walls represents a lack of privacy. You feel that everyone is looking over your shoulder or up in your business. If you live with others in your walking life, but dream that you are living alone suggests that you need to take new steps toward independence. You need to accept responsibilities and be more self-reliant. If you are locked out of the house, then it represents rejection and insecurity. You feel you are being left behind. To dream of a house that looks beautiful from the outside and/or downstairs, but the upstairs is falling apart implies that you are too concerned with outward appearances that your mental and emotional health is being neglected. Dreaming that a house falls down a level without collapsing suggests that you are suppressing your feelings or thoughts. You may be trying to shut out loved ones. Dreaming that you are in the house of someone who has passed away indicates that you have yet to come to terms with their death. Perhaps you feel there was something that could've been done. The dream also indicates that you are trying to hold onto the memories you had with her or him.

To see an abandoned house in your dream implies that you have left behind your past. You are ready to move forward toward the future. To see an old, run-down house in your dream represents your old beliefs, attitudes and how you used to think or feel. A situation in your current life may be bringing about those same old attitudes and feelings. Alternatively, the old house may symbolize your need to update you mode of thinking. If you see messy and/or dilapidated houses in your dream, then it implies that an aspect of your own life is in chaos. You may be suffering from some emotional or psychological clutter. You need to release these feelings in order to regain control. To dream that your house is damaged indicates your waking concerns about the condition of your house. To dream that you are cleaning your house signifies your need to clear out your thoughts and get rid of old ways. You are seeking self-improvement. To dream that you are building a house implies that you need to work on some aspect of yourself and better your mind or body. Alternatively, the dream is also representative of your maturing mindset. To see a new house in your dream indicates that you are entering into a new phase or new area in your life. You are becoming more emotionally mature."

(resource: dreammoods.com)

I think that the presence of people whom have passed or the presence of a dining room and food, is central to processing relationships. We gather with our families around a table many times. WE talk, laugh, have intimate conversations, we process, we cry. So many emotions. I think that seeing the "apartments" in your dream are related to life events and compartmentalizing emotions related to specific events. In relationships we attempt to shuffle our feelings around and place them in some sort of "area" either at the forefront or in the back of our minds, depending on what we want to focus on. You may have internalized a great deal of feelings over time and some of these memories or feelings may be painful for you.

Overall, this dream is almost like a reflection for you. As adults we go through stages of intimacy vs isolation, generativity vs stagnation, and integrity vs despair. I believe your dream is part of your processing of these possible stages.

I am sending information about those so it may help clarify:

Intimacy vs. Isolation

Occurring in young adulthood (ages 18 to 40 yrs), we begin to share ourselves more intimately with others. We explore relationships leading toward longer term commitments with someone other than a family member.

Successful completion of this stage can lead to comfortable relationships and a sense of commitment, safety, and care within a relationship. Avoiding intimacy, fearing commitment and relationships can lead to isolation, loneliness, and sometimes depression. Success in this stage will lead to the virtue of love

Generativity vs. Stagnation

During middle adulthood (ages 40 to 65 yrs), we establish our careers, settle down within a relationship, begin our own families and develop a sense of being a part of the bigger picture.

We give back to society through raising our children, being productive at work, and becoming involved in community activities and organizations.

By failing to achieve these objectives, we become stagnant and feel unproductive. Success in this stage will lead to the virtue of care.

Ego Integrity vs. Despair

As we grow older (65+ yrs) and become senior citizens, we tend to slow down our productivity, and explore life as a retired person. It is during this time that we contemplate our accomplishments and are able to develop integrity if we see ourselves as leading a successful life.

Erik Erikson believed if we see our lives as unproductive, feel guilt about our past, or feel that we did not accomplish our life goals, we become dissatisfied with life and develop despair, often leading to depression and hopelessness.

Success in this stage will lead to the virtue of wisdom. Wisdom enables a person to look back on their life with a sense of closure and completeness, and also accept death without fear.

I hope that this has been helpful and that you will provide a positive rating (3 stars or better) for the interpretation that you have received. You can do this by clicking on the rating button and providing a score. The communication does not have to cease if you provide a rating, but it is the only way that the experts receive credit. My goal is to provide with you excellent service. I wish you the best and if you need further clarification, please feel free to ask more questions. I can also send more specific resources if necessary for you! Thank you! Jules

Good afternoon, I just wanted to follow back up with you and ask if you felt that the interpretation was helpful, but if you have further questions, I am available for support. I just want to make sure that your question is answered thoroughly! Please let me know! Thank you!