CounselorJules, Counselor
Experience:  Licensed Professional Counselor

I dreamed the guy I'm talking too yelling angrily at people

Customer Question

I dreamed the guy I'm talking too yelling angrily at people pulled a gun & started shooting & screaming, every person he shot, instead of blood I saw sponge coming out of them.
Category: Dream Interpretation
Expert:  CounselorJules replied 3 months ago.

Hi,I'm Jules, a LPC, and welcome to JustAnswer. I am reviewing your question now, and will post back with your thorough reply briefly :)

I would like to share some information that has been suggested in dream information. I think it is important to know these facts when interpreting dreams, but also just interesting tidbits...."Some researchers believe that dreams help you to tackle stress. Dreaming is a necessity and helps to recharge the mind and revitalize the body. In dreams, negative emotions tend to occur twice as often as pleasant feelings. Fear and anxiety are the most commonly expressed emotions in dreams, followed by anger and sadness." In your dream you may have experienced different emotions: fear, shock, confusion....I tend to like the approach taken by Carl Jung. His research suggests that "Since dreams are a way of communicating with the unconscious, Jung believed that dream images reveal something about yourself, your relationships with others, and situations in your waking life. Dreams guide your personal growth and help in achieving your full potential. Jung also believes that the dream's manifest content is just as significant and revealing as the latent content. By simply discussing what is currently going on in your life, it can help you interpret and unlock the cryptic images of your dreams. Jung's method of dream interpretation is placed more confidently on the dreamer. He believes that you all possess the necessary tools to interpret your own dreams. There is no one correct way to interpret a dream. The meaning of your dreams is a personal judgment and is up to you on how to interpret them. Whatever interpretation feels right to you is most significant and more important than what someone else thinks or believes."Jung views the ego as your sense of self and how you portray yourself to the world. Part of Jung's theory is that all things can be viewed as paired opposites: good/evil, male/female, or love/hate. So working in opposition to the ego, is the "counterego" or what he refers to as the shadow. The shadow represents the rejected aspects of yourself that you do not wish to acknowledge. The shadow is more primitive, somewhat uncultured, and a little awkward. I believe in your dream you are processing aspects of yourself or even your new boyfriend called the persona and the shadow. Here is a definition of each:

"The Persona is the image you present to the world in your waking life. It is your public mask. In the dream world, the persona is represented by the Self. The Self may or may not resemble you physically or may or may not behave as your would. For example, the persona can appear as a scarecrow or a beggar in your dream. However, you still know that this "person" in your dream is you.

The Shadow is the rejected and repressed aspects of yourself. It is the part of yourself that you do not want the world to see because it is ugly or unappealing. It symbolizes weakness, fear, or anger. In dreams, this figure is represented by a stalker, murderer, a bully, or pursuer. It can be a frightening figure or even a close friend or relative. Their appearance often makes you angry or leaves you scared. They force you to confront things that you don't want to see or hear. You must learn to accept the shadow aspect of yourself for its messages are often for your own good, even though it may not be immediately apparent."

You have a great deal of interesting symbolism in the dream and I think it would be beneficial to take a look. To see your current boyfriend in your dream is really about processing any transitions that may be going on between you. The situation seemed a bit shocking for you and confusing. You may not see this aggressive side of him, but you may have fears about him based on either previous relationships, or even just the fear of being hurt.

It may also mean that the relationship is moving to a new level to which you are expressing some anxiety and fears about the changing situation. He is using a gun in the dream and guns can be both positive and negative. It can represent aggression, anger, or even danger, but it can also be protection. It could be that you are looking for shelter and security and he is expressing authority to keep others away-- almost like establishing a boundary around you and the relationship. Unless, you have picked up on the feeling that he is "controlling" in any manner, I don't know if that is a concern of yours or not. "Alternatively, a gun is a symbol of power and pride." Maybe you see him as someone that is driven and goes to incredible lengths to keep what is "his," his. Now, it sounds like he wasn't shooting you, but that he was shooting unknown people. It could be possible that you feel that it is difficult to express your feelings with him because of your own fears of rejection. A positive aspect of seeing a "shooting" is indicated in a resource that "To see a shooting in your dream indicates that you have a set goal and know what to aim for in life. Your plans are right on target!" ( I do think that one of the most interesting symbols in your dream is the "sponge" versus the blood. A sponge is used for different things in our waking lives- cleaning, soaking, etc. Sometimes bright kids are called "sponges" because they "soak up new material." "To see or use a sponge in your dream suggests that you are receptive and are able to easily absorb new knowledge and information. The dream may also be a metaphor that you are "sponging off someone" or that someone is "sponging" off you. Perhaps you are becoming too dependent and need to find your own path." It doesn't sound like you are overly dependent on him, but maybe others soak up a lot of your attention and he may be feeling that he wants more of you to himself.

I am curious if he has asked you to be more available to him or if you feel that you are pulled in different directions and are unable to be as emotionally available as you would like. You may feel that there is pressure to be more dependent on him or that he wants more from you, but you still have other obligations. It could be a situation where you feel like you need to establish boundaries with others so that you can focus on more of your personal goals, rather than being pulled in many directions. His shooting of others could be his way of keeping your relationship safe from outside drama or attention.

I hope that you found the information satisfactory and that you will consider providing a positive rating (3 stars or better) in order to accept the answer given. This is the only manner in which experts receive credit for the answers given. Our goal is to provide excellent service and I want to make sure that you feel your needs were met. I am happy to continue assisting you if necessary. Please feel free to follow up with any additional questions.

Thank you and best wishes, Jules